As COVID Continues, City High Track Begins

Lottie Gidal

Owen Jones hands off to Ry Threlkeld-Wiegand in the 4×800 relay.

Kyden Hotka, Reporter

The COVID-19 pandemic has created many problems for City High sports this year. This left athletes questioning whether they would have a sports season at all. As of January 7th, City High sports were given another chance due to Kim Reynolds’s new health proclamation. 

March 1st marked the first practice for City High Track during the COVID-19 pandemic, bringing much excitement and uncertainty into this year’s season. Athletes are excited to be able to return to their sport despite the pandemic, including seniors who initially feared they wouldn’t have a track season. Will Arling ‘21 is one of the many athletes who are excited to return to their sport.

“I’m so grateful for the opportunity to have a final track season with my valued peers and teammates,” Arling said.

This year’s track season will also look different than previous years. This includes mask-wearing in between workouts and more running groups with fewer people so that social distancing is achievable. These new requirements have not discouraged the City High Track team, and students like Joe Fischer ‘21 who believe that this season will go down in the history books. 

“As far as track goes, we have to rethink how to train with new protocols,” Fischer said. “It might be difficult but, when that gun goes off, the hard work and hustle is all the same.”