Prom ‘Under the Stars’ Set with Fireworks, a Pony Race, $12,000 of Prizes and Free Food at Bates Field

Ruby Casella and Martin Torres

Prom Under the Stars Brochure

Prom is happening on Saturday, May 15th  from 7-10 at Bates Field free for students with ID. Students are free to dress formally or in casual clothing and with the chance of rain there are plans that it could be moved inside.  The weather forecast calls for showers to end in the afternoon.

“This week’s forecast calls for a chance of rain. If the weather goes bad we will move things inside. Not everything will go inside, but we will have the Red Carpet in the Commons,” Katherine Geerdes, student body president, said.

City High juniors and seniors no underclassmen will be allowed to attend, four different kinds of food trucks, and over $12,000 in raffle prizes from the PSTO will be given away at prom.

“There will be a raffle with crazy prizes including a moped, MacBook, mini-fridge, AirPods and more! You can even try to dunk Mr. Bacon! There will also be a red carpet for students to show off their fancy formal wear,” Steve Tygrett, student senate and prom adviser, said.

There will also be a dunk tank and other fun activities on the field like a bungee trampoline, mechanical bull, pony race, ax throwing, and other carnival games.

“Come right at seven, it’s only three hours and there’s so much to do it’s gonna go fast. Walk through a floral iron wrought arch by yourself or with a date, down the Red Carpet to the photo booth wearing formal attire, Look out for Paparazzi! If you want to change later the locker rooms will be open. At 9:45 there will be a professional fireworks show!” Tygrett said.