Wisdom Konu
Wisdom Konu
Executive Editor and Culture Co-Editor

Womens soccer prepares to face West

Erin Danielson ’13 battles for the ball against Cedar Falls. Photo by Jake Binggeli.
Erin Danielson '13 battles for the ball against Cedar Falls. Photo by Jake Binggeli.

After starting their season with a record of 0-7, the City High womens soccer team must prepare to take on their tough cross-town rival, West High on Tuesday.

“We want to surprise West,” head coach Torsten Opitz said. “We need to make them work hard and come into our game.”

The Women of Troy come into the game ranked No. 4 and with a record of 5-0. The unranked Little Hawks are the clear underdogs, but hope to keep up with West’s dynamic offense and strong defense.
“We need to play the ball to feet and not get too impatient,” Opitz said.

The keys to Tuesday’s game will be staying tough on defense and finishing on offense. If City comes out strong in the first half they have a good chance of staying with West throughout the entire game.

“If we can get in the mind set to be a little more defensive, we will not be scored on early which has always been our problem,” Opitz said.

The game will be played at 5 PM Tuesday night at the University of Iowa Soccer Complex with the boys team to follow. Opitz says student support would help the team begin to turn their season around.

“The more City High students at the game, the better.” Opitz said.