Volleyball Starts Season On Top

City girls react to winning a match at the state tournament last year. (Photo by Della Nuno)

The experienced girls volleyball team is already starting to live up to their expectations. The Girls Athletic Union has just announced the preseason rankings for the 2012 season, placing City High on top.

“We’re really excited about being number one this year, but we can’t focus on that,” Mickey Hansche ’12 said. “Anyone can beat anyone at anytime. We have to stay focused.”

The MVC as a whole looks to be very strong this year as well. They have five total teams in the top ten. Cedar Rapids Kennedy is number two, Cedar Falls is ranked fourth. Dubuque Hempstead is number six, and Iowa City West is ranked number nine.

“Because we have such a tough conference, we know that we have to work that much harder for a conference championship.” Abby Saehler ’12 said. “We just need to focus and play each game as if we are behind.”

Last year, the volleyball team finished second in the state, losing to West in the state finals. City High opens their season on Tuesday, August 28 against number two Cedar Rapids Kennedy.