Molly Savage
Molly Savage
Social Media Co-Editor and Assistant Yearbook Editor

Rottweilers are getting a bad rap in Iowa City

Photo by Dr. Manfred

By Shawn Ostrander
Little Hawk Reporter

In Iowa City you can not have a Rottweiler in city housing, apartments, or mobile homes around here. According to the American Kennel Club, the Rottweiler is a basically a calm, confident and courageous dog. Self-confident and responds quietly to the environment around it. They are great around kids and very loyal to its owner. With all the quality traits of the Rottweiler then why are they getting a bad rep? “Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.” Said “Sigmund Freud

In 1997 the CDC reported that the Rottweiler was listed as the second most likely breed of dog to be involved in fatal human attack. Yes there is no denying that fact, but that is only half the rate of a pit bull. A study in 2008 shows that the attacks by a Rottweiler were against strangers, More often then against the owner due to their instincts to be a watchdog. “There are facts about dogs, and there are opinions about them. The dogs have the facts, and the humans have their opinions.” Said J. Allen Boone.

If you were to ask the manager of a mobile home park or apartments the question Why is it that I can’t bring a Rottweiler with me here? They will just give you a generic answer or will say that they are over aggressive. “Too many idiots are breeding Rottweiler’s to be dangerously sharp, thinking that these dogs will protect them. The reality is that “sharp” dogs aren’t protective — they’re simply over-aggressive, which makes them more likely to attack an innocent person, child, or another animal. No, if you want a good family dog, you don’t want an aggressive Rottweiler.” Written by Michele Welton.

Most of the people that get a Rottweiler decide to get one due to the way that they look and don’t always think of the attention and training that they need to be a well behaved dog. Rottweilers need a lot of exercise and people tend to ignore that fact the longer that they have the dog, but it is necessary for the health and behavior of the dog.

“Both Humans and dogs love to play well into adulthood, and individuals from both species occasionally display evidence of having a conscience.” Said Jon Winokur

The studies show that as long as you train a Rottweiler correctly, give them enough exercise, and take the dog around other people then the Rottweiler breed is a very well behaved, loyal, and non-aggressive dog. If the Rottweiler is able to show that they have all of these quality traits then why can you still not take your dog into a mobile home park or an apartment? Is it fair? Does the Rottweiler get a fair chance now due to their past I would have to say no when you go somewhere and they find out you own a Rottweiler they automatically don’t want you their with your dog without even seeing your dog now that is not fair. Why are dogs not getting rights because of people’s opinion of them? People should not be allowed to just judge a dog by its breed.