JV Girls Tennis dukes it out with West

By Margaret Yapp

There was a City-West battle at City High this week.  Most inner-city battles stir up hard feelings, jeers and overall excitement.  But unlike other sports JV girls tennis can only be described with one word: fun, even when battling the west side ladies of troy.

Before the meet the girls warmed up on the courts to get ready.  While waiting for their turn, the team sits relaxed and chatting next to the courts.  Despite the oncoming competition, the conversation rarely turns to tennis.  Instead the team discusses school and what happened at prom.

“I hope I do well, and it is always great to win, but I know I will have fun no matter what,” says tennis player Emmy Devine ’11.

Instead of competition in the air, a good spirit spread throughout the tennis courts.  Even the coaches were smiling.

“The inner city meets are always tight,” says Coach Postman, “it is always a close meet with West High, but am expecting the meet today to go well.”

“I’m having fun!” says Jisselle Verdinez ’11 with a smile, “I lost last meet, so I really want to win this time.  But it is always fun!”

After the match most players did not even know if they had won or lost.  Although later investigation by Little Hawk reporters revealed that West beat City 2-5, it does not matter to the JV tennis players, they are just having fun.