Sadie Bodzin
Sadie Bodzin
Culture Co-Editor

Best Buddies Wins Third Straight Award

Last Saturday, the City High chapter of Best Buddies was again rewarded for its efforts by earning the High School Chapter of the Year Award for the third straight year. Buddy members Matt Tvedte, Leslie Kennebeck, Caitlin Clougherty, Alex Walczyk, Hayley Musser, as well as Caitlin’s parents Jenn and Leo, and club sponsors Brent DeNeice and Tom Braverman, all attended the Friendship Frolic in Des Moines on April 24th where they received both that award and the Buddy Bling award.

The Buddy Bling award is given to the chapter that earns the most points for completing all if its paperwork on time and for having the best attended events. Best Buddies is an organization founded to improve the lives of students with intellectual disabilities by pairing those students with their non-disabled peers in 1:1 relationships. Those students then get together to do activities once a week either at school, or out in the community.

Additionally, those students also participate in group activities that the City High Chapter puts on. Some of those activities this year have included a Valentines Day Dance, a Halloween Party and most recently a Scavenger Hunt. Accepting the awards for the chapter were Matt, Caitlin, Alex, Leslie and Hayley.

“[This] would not have been a success,” President Matt Tvedte ’10 said, “If not for positive member involvement.”