Girls Substate Final Preview: Iowa City West

Kiera Washpun ’14 drives to the basket during the substate semi-final game against Clinton. Photo by Ryan Young.

WHAT: City High vs. West High

Kiera Washpun '14 drives to the basket during the substate semi-final game against Clinton. Photo by Ryan Young.

WHERE: Cedar Rapids Prairie

WHEN: 7:00 pm

COST: $6 – NO PASSES ACCEPTED

THEME: BLACKOUT

The City-West rivalry is perhaps the biggest high school rivalry in the state of Iowa in recent years. The two schools are preparing to face off again tonight when the stakes couldn’t be higher. Winner move on to Des Moines, loser go home.
“We want to play the whole 32 minutes as hard as we can,” Aliyah Gustafson ‘13 said.
City has already beat West High twice this season, once by 18 points and once by only 2 points. The Little Hawks looks to build upon its 13 game win streak, and return back to the state tournament for the second year in a row.
“We want to focus on ourselves and control what we can control,” Head Coach Bill McTaggart said. “We want to play great defense and shut down a few of their players.”
West High, led by Iowa recruit Ally Disterhoft, is 17-5 on the year. They beat Bettendorf in the substate semi-finals 58-41, after receiving a first round bye.
“We are just taking things one game at a time,” Mickey Hansche ‘13 said. “We are completely focused and ready to go tonight.”
The game will start at 7:00 tonight at Cedar Rapids Prairie High School. Tickets cost $6 for all, and students are encouraged to wear black.