Turn Up The Acie Leads Rec League with 5-0 Record

Meet your 2014 rec league teams

February 19, 2014

Dripping sweat, shouting names, falling down and making shots are all components of 2014 Rec League Basketball. Eight teams risk respect, honor, and dignity to gain the glory of a champion.

“I came into Rec League expecting world dominance and it hasn’t been anything short of that,” Scott Tribbey ‘15 said.

Students gathered and divided into teams. Each team has a different atmosphere and something unique about them.

Turn Up the Acie consists of the junior class Acie Earl enthusiasts. They are undefeated and turn to Earl for the positive attitude of their team.

“Acie Earl was not a man, but a legend,” Tribbey said. “He is our inspiration.”

Long and Hard Distance was formed by the cross country boys that wanted to play basketball.  Their iconic uniform includes wearing their trademark short running shorts as opposed to baggy basketball shorts.

The Gorgle Crew is made up of seniors who decided last year it would be fun to shoot some hoops, but weren’t expecting much out of the experience.

“We can’t really do anything well,” Greg Grier ‘14 said. “But we have a hilarious time doing it.”

While some teams find Rec League is the only athletic experience of their high school careers, Ball of Duty: Black Hops has some of the most talented senior athletes City High has to offer. It contains all senior girls with positive spirit and a lot of mouth.

“It’s a really nice break for my teammates and I to just have a fun atmosphere while we play,” Ruth Grace ‘14 said. “This feels so much less forced.”

Bros United is another example of a team that joined rec league for the enjoyment of the game. On the more diverse side of the league, students range from freshmen to seniors. They feel a strong bond indicated by their name and wear tank tops in the dead of January.

The Hustlers serve as the team made up of juniors. They haven’t won a game yet, but they have high hopes and many Hustler enthusiasts.

STP players include sophomores and one junior making them the youngest team with the least experience in the league.

“I think we’ve got a lot of motivation and potential,” Tom Pugh ‘16 said. “So I’m happy with where we are.”

Tate High School also participates in the Rec League as an extra curricular. They are undefeated and predicted to play in the championship game. Their team consists of both genders and all ages.

All of these teams have different reasons and explanations for why they continue to play Rec League.

“My favorite part about Rec League is looking into my players’ eyes after a win and seeing the joy it brings them,” Turn Up the Acie’s coach Ryan Weaver ‘15 said.

Some students take the games more competitively than others, but at the end of the day it comes down to which team has the greatest teamwork and knowledge of understanding.

“When I get older, I’m going to be able to tell my kids that I played rec league,” Tribbey said. “and hopefully say that I won it all.”

Long and Hard Distance
Long and Hard Distance

Jens Dancer ’15, Ryan Dorman ’14, Chris Ohrt ’14, Drew Abrams ’14, Tom McDowell ’16, Joel Bender ’15, Zach Coleman ’14, Andy Peterson ’14

Coach: Sam English ’14

Stp
Stp

Nick Chalkley ’15, Tom Pugh ’16, Erick Fletcher ’16, Greg Hensley ’16, Henry Mosher ’16, James Yapp ’15, Nick Figueroa ’16, Griffin Fellows ’16, Jack Berg ’16

Caches: Will Braverman ’16 and Bennett Yeo ’16

Hustlers
Hustlers

Gunnar Marchael ’15, Alec James ’15, Ryan Brennan ’15, Ben Morony ’16, Theo Shriver ’15, Marque Edwards ’15, Devontay Johnson ’15

Coach: Brady Cotton ’15

Turn Up the Acie
Turn Up the Acie

Austin Tholen ’15, Scott Tribbey ’15, Anton Buri ’15, Peter Larsen ’15, Eric McDonald ’15, Brian Schweer ’15, Matt Hensley ’15, Drew Orr ’15

Coaches: Joe Britton ’15, Logan LaFauce ’15, Evan Grace ’15 and Ryan Weaver ’15

Bros United
Bros United

Omar Shaban ’14, Joe Pugh ’14, Victor Brown-Rodriguez ’16, Collin O’Meara ’16, Kole Butler ’14, Shakhem Badgett ’14, Gavin Oliver ’17, Alejandro Pacheco ’14, Miguel Gutierrez ’14, Auston Troyer ’14, Mohamed Shaban ’16

Coach: Emma Greimann ’14

Gorgle Crew
Gorgle Crew

Greg Grier ’14, Ethan Dailey ’14, Ryan Cox ’14, Ian Verhoef ’14, Dalton Green ’14, Nicolai Gibbens ’14, Sam Montgomery ’14, Randy Gipson ’14, Brady Swenning ’14, Evan Streeby ’14

Coach: Nick Yeater ’14