Art by Lucia Wagner

Femi-not Your Average Club

Maya Durham '19 and Samantha Titus '18 introduce Feminist Club this spring.

February 1, 2017

Sophomore Maya Durham was outraged by the past election cycle. Durham and Samantha Titus ’18 sought to address the gender-based inequalities they found in modern society. Their solution? Feminist Club.

“I have always been interested in feminism and particularly the intersectional aspects of it,” Co-founder Durham said. “Given the recent election, the executive orders, and the hate crimes, I think it is really important to form a group that is dedicated to solving those problems. Especially at a local level.”

Durham, along with a group of other City students, attended the Women’s March on Washington to protest for equality.

“The march was incredible. It was big and chaotic, but not in a messy way,” Durham said. “There was so much energy and everyone was very happy.”

Feminist Club will feature various guest speakers and host fundraisers for local non-profit organizations.

“We want to look at the social justice issues that are happening in Iowa City and address those issues,” Durham said.

The first meeting of Feminist Club was held last Monday, January 30, but only a few young women attended.

“[The club] really needs more intersectionality,” Durham said. “We want more people of color, more guys and gender fluid and non-conforming people, too. We want the club to be as inclusive as possible.”

Feminist Club meets every Monday after school Mrs. B’s room (1303).