Noah Bullwinkle

Teacher Appreciation Week: Mr. Rogers

Jonathan Rogers can be found in room 2109 wearing keens with a suit because his feet get sweaty. He enjoys editing photos with snapseed, and rewarding his students with cake. He encourages every student at City High to try journalism for at least one trimester because, after all, it is the most important class of the day.

Why did you become a high school journalism advisor?

I had a really great experience with high school journalism and I worked as a journalist when I was younger and it was always something I wanted to advise a really great high school journalism program.

What is your favorite part about being a high school journalism advisor?

I like the quote from the buzzfeed ex-journalism advisor about how his students challenge him. I definitely enjoy being challenged by my students.

How do you feel that you are challenged by your students?

They’re always questioning and pushing how we can do things better or differently. I think students in a way are the hardest customers and you guys have very high expectations of your teachers and I enjoy trying to meet those expectations.

What do you think is the best aspect of the little hawk paper?

You guys. The students for sure. Seeing the students own something and create amazing products and tell important stories is definitely really rewarding.

How long have you been a high school journalism advisor?

I think it’s around 14 years now. I started in 2005.

What did you do before that?

I did a little bit of journalism and after college, I traveled around. Then I went back to grad school and moved to Colorado and taught out there for about five years, then I had kids and moved back to Iowa City where my wife and I are from. (Iowa, not Iowa City)

Was this always something you wanted to do?

No. My mom was in education and I definitely said I never wanted to be a teacher. But I was rafting in Colorado and was like ‘wow, there are high schools in these cool mountain towns and that would be fun to teach at’ and all my friends in law school hated it. I actually thought ‘oh, City High, teaching journalism would be cool there.’ I do believe that you can achieve your goals and dreams if you just put your mind to it and when I was debating grad school and moving out west I just thought it fit well. I wasn’t sure how long I was going to do it but I really enjoy it and it’s a great job especially if you want to live in mountain towns or raise a family.

Mr. Rogers is currently at 1700 Twitter followers and he is trying to get to 2000. Give him a follow to show your appreciation @jon_rogers.

$1800
$5000