Lindy Rublaitus

Choir teacher Dr. Greg Grove with Rachel Meehan.

Teacher Appreciation Column: Dr. Greg Grove

Dr. Grove has been an instructor and friend to countless people throughout his 30 years in the Iowa City Community School District. He currently directs the Little Hawk Singers, advanced women’s ensemble, and the select men’s group called Männerchor. He works incredibly hard every day and still manages to be one of the most genuine, nicest people you will ever meet.

When I first met Dr. Grove, I was a freshman auditioning for show choir at City High. I had heard of Dr. Grove from my uncle, who had had him as a choir director during his time at City High in 1988 to 1992. My expectation of a high school choir director at that time was someone who was super scary and strict, so you could say I was very nervous to start choir in at City High. Once I got to know Dr. Grove, he quickly grew to be someone I admire and look up to. I learned from being in his class that learning music can be both productive and fun at the same time. Other students share the same admiration for Dr. Grove.

“He’s really passionate about what he’s doing, and he has a lot of care and compassion for us students,” said choir member Julia Weiner ‘21, “You can tell that he does what he does so that we can do well. That’s really special.”

As much as I love learning music in Dr. Grove’s class, what I love most about him is his way of making a room light up from his friendly and bubbly personality. When talking about what he likes most about teaching, he instantly lights up.

“Oh, the kids! They keep me going,” said Dr. Grove. “I am with these kids every single day, so I try to make it enjoyable for them.”

Anyone who knows Dr. Grove can agree when saying he truly cares about his students.

“Dr. Grove encourages those who aren’t so sure about their skill or voice, to take chances, be confident, and give it all you’ve got,” said Ty Wellons ‘20, “His teaching makes everyone feel like they can be the singer they can aspire to be.”

Dr. Grove started his teaching career in 1978 in Central Iowa. He spent 2 years teaching at North Polk High School and then 8 years at Ballard High School. He then moved to Iowa City and began teaching in the Iowa City Community School District. He has been directing choirs at City High for over 25 years. He has coached many young singers into being the best that they can be, including me. I am so lucky to be able to learn from such a fantastic teacher every day. Not only does Dr. Grove teach his students good singing techniques, but he also provides inspiration and motivation to follow through with our commitments; in choir and in life.

“One of my little mottos is, ‘nothing extraordinary comes from ordinary effort.’ Anything you want to be or anything you want to do that is extraordinary is not going to come by just wishing and hoping. It’s going to come through hard work and self discipline.”

I can’t imagine life without you, Dr. Grove! Thanks for not only making be a better singer, but a better person.

$1800
$5000