Leslie Deprenger

Mia Deprenger ’22 posing for a photo with a Minnesota State University soccer coach.

Mia Deprenger

December 17, 2020

While COVID-19 has made the college recruitment process more difficult for some athletes, Mia Deprenger ‘21 is not one of them. Deprenger has been committed to Minnesota State University to play NCAA division II soccer since her freshman year of high school.

“My sister actually  goes there to play soccer so I was  introduced to the team really early on, and I saw the field, the campus, met coaching staff and it just felt like the right place for me to go to,” Deprenger said.

Recently due to COVID-19, the NCAA division one council voted to move the college recruitment dead period to April of 2021. This can put stressors on student-athletes looking to get recruited as the dead period is when college coaches are not permitted to have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes and they may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. 

“It’s stressful for other people so like I’m glad that I got it out of the way,”  Depreger said.  “They can’t really go and see the campus talk the team so it’s kind of hard to make a decision without really knowing exactly what you’re getting into.”

When asked what she was most excited for  Deprenger said, “I love the team atmosphere there and it’s really fun to be around them because there’s  like 30 games per season and everyone likes everyone no matter like what age or grade they’re in.”