Rachel Marsh

Fourth Avenue Jazz Company students pose with director Mr. Hagy. Left to right: Lucy Corbin ’22, Ruth Meehan ’22, Jake Roth ’22, Mr. Hagy, Aaron Rutherford ’22, Rachel Marsh ’22, Sara Cassady ’22.

Teacher Appreciation Column: Mr. Hagy Shaped Me into Who I Am

My first interaction with Mr. Hagy was freshman year, he taught treble choir and I instantly knew that he was a character. Mr. Hagy is one of the choir directors at City High School, he’s been a teacher at City for three years so far. From walking into his office, anyone can see the diplomas from the three (?) colleges he attended. That much of an education is apparent in his teaching, as I could tell right away that he was very knowledgeable, even if he has an interesting way of showing it. 

Over the years, as I’ve grown personally and as students warmed up to Hagy in general, Hagy became less of a slightly strange teacher to one of my favorite teachers. It’s what high school is for, finding who you are. I think a lot of who I am rooted in my time in the music wing. I remember I had five class periods with Ruth Meehan ‘22. Whenever we had spare time or needed to get away, we would go to the choir room, Hagy’s office, or ask for a practice room. During that time, our sophomore year, Hagy really got exposed to both Ruth and I, probably not to his benefit. 

Hagy is someone who is very awkward and weird, but also intelligent, friendly, and welcoming. Someone who can joke with you, but also get you into shape. Who has high expectations for you, but grace or a hard push to get you there. From his colorful hand gestures to conduct, to his high pitch joking screams when someone messes up something they shouldn’t, to his unplanned speeches that are closer to sermons, he is someone I will never forget. 

He has produced experiences I will not forget because they have shaped me into the person I am today. He was the musical director for Les Miserables, my first real musical experience. Getting yelled at by Hagy and Stucky at the same time was one of the scariest moments of my life thus far. He is the director of the varsity show choir, Fourth Avenue Jazz Company, and even though my first year in the group was severely impacted by COVID-19, it taught me how important the arts are. Having that outlet last year was more important than it ever has been. He is the tenant of the office that everyone walks into when they want to sit and talk, play his piano or steal his endless amounts of snacks. He is the host of a Zoom where he gave a house tour and found a wasp in his office. 

Though he says the road to continuing on with City choirs has not been an easy one, I am very grateful he chose to stick it out. The choir department, the drama department, and many students’ lives would be very different if Hagy had not shown up. So thank you Mr. Hagy, for all that you do, and for how you have made such a positive impact on my life, as well as many others. Even if you don’t remember us in two years when you’re in the retirement home with your water company, we will remember you.

$1800
$5000