Hattie

Dominic Roe ’26 is a standout track star at City High.

Dominic Roe

Track

October 28, 2022

As Dominic Roe ‘26 lined up on the start line of his first-ever track race on the 5th-grade track and field day, he was nervous but excited. He prepared himself to run and little did he know this moment would impact him for at least through his high school career.

“I kind of got fast out of nowhere in fifth grade. On the fifth-grade track and field day, I was in the four-by-one and really liked it. So in seventh grade, I decided to go out for track,.” Dominic said.

In his seventh-grade year, Dom’s love for track expanded as he realized his passion for not only running but also competing.

“The first time I ran hurdles in a meet and won really showed me how much I loved track and was committed to it,” Dominic said.. “Winning felt really good and I just think it is really exciting to race other people that I don’t know.”

Throughout his seventh and eighth-grade track seasons, Dom explored some different events, but found his favorite to be hurdles.

“The first time I fell on the hurdles at practice at Southeast and I hit my shin on a hurdle and I landed at the next hurdle. I remember just being really confused, but now I think it’s pretty funny in retrospect.”

Outside of track season, Dom spends his time playing other sports that he also enjoys like football and wrestling. In football, Dom plays on the freshman-sophomore team.

He has found motivation within a beloved coach in the City High community, Mitch Moore.

“I know he’s a football coach, but he’s helped me figure out who I am in sports in a way,.” Dominic said.

Dom is anticipating the track season and the transition from junior high track to high school track. He plans on improving in every aspect of running including his speed and form.

“I am excited for sure but definitely a little bit more nervous this year just because high school sports are obviously more serious than junior high sports,” Dominic said..

“Overall, I am looking forward to practicing with upperclassmen and competing against upperclassmen from schools farther away that we didn’t really get to compete against in junior high.”

Dom can be found running 100-meter hurdles, 100-meter dash, 200-meter dash, and occasionally long jump.

“I want people to realize what you can do when you put your mind to things. I didn’t think I was going to do good in hurdles but I was put in them and I did well and I had that realization of oh, I can do this,” Roe ‘26 said.