Top 10 Stories of Right Now

Pete Souza

G8_leaders_confer_together
By Edgar Thornton Our Monday update on what is happening in the world.

1.Data Suggests Push to Spy on Merkel Dates to ’02 New details about the monitoring of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s cellphone by the National Security Agency further stoked the German government’s anger on Sunday and raised two questions: Why did the United States target her as early as 2002, and why did it take five years for the Obama administration to put a halt to the surveillance? (New York Times)

2.Facebook CEO Admits To Calling Users ‘Dumb F$%Ks’ Mark Zuckerberg admits in a New Yorker profile that he mocked early Facebook users for trusting him with their personal information. A youthful indiscretion, the Facebook founder says he’s much more mature now, at the ripe age of 26. (Gawker)

3.Data center glitch is latest problem in ‘Obamacare’ rollout A data center critical for allowing uninsured Americans to buy health coverage under President Barack Obama’s healthcare law went down on Sunday, halting online enrollment for all 50 states in the latest problem to hit the program’s troubled rollout.(Yahoo Finance)

4.Ted cruz was here in Iowa over the weekend. Is he plotting a Presidential run? Texas Sen. Ted Cruz became the hottest thing in tea party politics this year — and the favored son of some activists — almost overnight. (NBC News)

5.Democrats Call On Obama Administration To Delay Health Care Deadlines As Problems Persist Two Senate Democrats have put forward separate plans that would push back enforcement of some of the Affordable Care Act’s provisions while the Obama administration addresses what they see as problems with the law. (Huffington Post)

6.Spain summons U.S. ambassador over spying Spain summoned the U.S. ambassador on Monday to discuss allegations of spying on Spanish citizens that it said could break the climate of trust between the two countries if proved true. (Reuters)

7.Michael Jackson doctor Conrad Murray released from jail Conrad Murray, the doctor convicted in the death of pop star Michael Jackson, was released from Men’s Central Jail at 12:01 a.m. Monday, authorities confirmed. (Los Angeles Times)

8.Twitter is worth more than $11 billion Twitter isn’t yet making a profit, but analysts think its future is bright — and that it’s worth more than the current $11 billion valuation. (CNN Money)

9. After four games, the world series is tied. There’s no telling how these wacky World Series games will end. (CBS Sports)

10. Is google behind a mysterious barge in the San San Francisco bay? Moored on the waters of San Francisco Bay, just east of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge, is — well, a mystery. (CNN).

Header photo By White House (Pete Souza) / Maison Blanche (Pete Souza) (The Official White House Photostream) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons