Jeans for Teens

Arielle Soemadi '15 works to reduce the need for jeans in Iowa City's homeless community.

These+are+just+a+portion+of+the+jeans+in+the+box+in+the+main+foyer+donated+for+Jeans+for+Teens.+

Jeans for Teens

These are just a portion of the jeans in the box in the main foyer donated for Jeans for Teens.

Cora Bern-Klug

Cora Bern-Klug

Cora Bern-Klug

Olivia Parrott, Reporter

<p dir=Dosomething.org, Aéropostale, and Fifth Harmony have teamed to create the Campaign Jeans for Teens. Its mission is to make a difference in homeless teens’ lives by distributing jeans throughout communities.

“I originally wanted to make holiday bags, kind of like Cassie’s Mittens when they collected gloves and hats,”  Arielle Soemadi ’15 said. “I could’ve put [gloves and hats] in there with a bunch of toiletry items as well. But I wasn’t quite sure how to start that, and when I saw that they were doing Jeans for Teens, I figured I would start there.”

The process of bringing this campaign to the school or other parts of the community is only a phone call away. She phoned dosomething.org to set up her account, and put a box in the main foyer for jean donation. Soemadi has also placed a donation box at her church, First Presbyterian on Rochester.

“It’s really sad, and it breaks my heart,” Soemadi said, “We should do our part to help, especially if it’s an issue here that we can help.”

Donating jeans can be as simple as going through drawers.

“A lot of teachers have said, ‘I’m going to have me and my kids go through our stuff and donate [jeans],’ which means a lot to me,” Soemadi said.

The Jeans for Teens campaign at City High began January 6th, and donations will be accepted through February 10th. The jeans will be given to the local homeless shelter.

“I feel like we do take a lot of things for granted and we ignore our homelessness problem,” Soemadi said. “My main goal is for people to understand that we can help in the smallest way.”

About the Contributors
Olivia Parrott, Copy Editor

I am very excited to be the sole copy editor this year! I've always loved to be the one who fine tunes the stories. Even though copy editing takes around...

Cora Bern-Klug, Design Editor

Hello I am Cora Bern-Klug...lead designer. Best person ever...future president...current president. Lover of Kierra Zapf....it's all in the name.

"Be...