Freshman Leo Xiao Places 8th at IHSAA State Swimming Meet

Jacob Buatti and Nathan Katalinich, Reporter

This past Saturday, City High’s four state swimmers competed at the 2014 IHSAA State Swimming Meet in Marshalltown, Iowa. The four person team qualified in 5 different events and placed 20th of the 22 teams with an overall score of 6.

City High Results and Place:

Andrew Parr – 100 yard backstroke 12th

Abe Eyman Casey, Sam Cavanaugh, Leo Xiao, Andrew Parr- 200 yard Medley Relay: 16th

Leo Xiao – 100 yard breastroke: 8th

Abe Eyman Casey – 100 yard backstroke: 21st

Andrew Parr- 200 yard Individual Medley: 23rd

PREVIOUS MEETS

Two weekends ago, the City High Boys swimming team competed in their district meet at Mercer Aquatic Center. For some this was the last meet of the season, while for others this is just the leadup meet for their state championship meet this past weekend. They placed fifth overall in the Districts meet.

The team had state qualifiers in a total of four events. These events include the 100 Backstroke, 200 Individual Medley, 100 Breaststroke and the 200 Medley Relay. This is significantly less events than last year, partly due to the departure of seniors last year and a lack of numbers.

“Not having many people out for the team wasn’t a big effect on us as individual swimmers, but it was bad for our depth and our relays,” Abe Eyman-Casey ‘15 said. “If we can start them swimming freshman year on relays and JV by the time they’re juniors they can even be good enough to qualify individually.”

For only having eleven athletes, the team qualifying five is a big accomplishment for the Little Hawks. Eyman Casey is also excited for his events at state and has big expectations for next year.

“My senior I definitely look to make it back to state in the 100 Backstroke but also compete in the 50 Freestyle and go for the school record,” Eyman-Casey said.

Last year the team managed to qualify swimmers in six individual events and two relays. The Little Hawks hope to have swimmers score crucial points at the state meet this weekend. Freshman Leo Xiao ‘17, who qualified in the 100 breaststroke will be entering the meet in fourteenth place. Xiao is hopeful to place in the top three at state. He was ranked fifth in the state before their districts meet this weekend.

“I am excited to be in the state meet as a freshman,” Xiao said. “I just want to focus on going fast at state.”

Also returning to state from the team is  Andrew Parr ‘16, who is swimming both the 100 Backstroke and the 200 Individual Medley and has raised his place in state in both events, by being ranked ninth in the Backstroke and 21st in the Medley.

“I’m glad to be coming back to state this year and I am hoping to drop some time at the meet and get myself a better state ranking than last year,” Parr ‘16 said.