Young Actors Shine on City Stage

Ellis Fontana, Reporter

Opstad Auditorium finds itself alive with activity again as City High’s Drama Department prepares for this spring’s musical Oliver! However, the normal cast of City High students are joined by a group of 10 younger actors to perform this year, including 8th Grader Andy Stewart as the lead role of Oliver.

During auditions, director Troy Peters ran into a problem as he tried to cast the actor for Oliver. “None of the City High boys or girls would really work because of the physical requirements.” Peters said. To fix this problem, Peters turned to Stewart for the role. “His size and voice range (soprano) fits the role and he has a decent amount of acting experience.” Peters said about the casting of Oliver.

“I think it makes the show more realistic.” Amy Ostrem ‘14 said on the casting of Oliver. “It makes it easier to see Oliver as a poor child if he’s actually played by a child.” Ostrem added.

“I can understand why some people may be concerned about the casting, but I don’t mind it. I think it gives younger actors like Stewart a new opportunity to get into theater.” Sam Rahn ‘14 said.

However, many of the cast has noticed it can be a bit difficult to adjust to working with the younger actors. “It’s a whole other level of stress trying to make the kids pay attention.” Peters said.

“We’ve definitely had to tone it down for the kids while they’re around.” Amber Slater-Scott ‘14 said. “But it’s still a great experience and it’s also really fulfilling to see them having fun.”

Genevieve Wisdom ‘17 also shares her experiences working with the kids. “In my experience, they can have trouble focusing, but often they’re very professional and are hard workers.” Wisdom said. “There’s a lot of talent in that group.”

While the other actors can be troublesome, Stewart had adjusted well to working with the older actors. “He does his homework and he has experience in theater,he even works with a voice coach in his spare time.” Peters said on Stewart’s performance.

“It’s pretty nice working with the older actors, they’re more mature and they create a better atmosphere.” Stewart said on his experiences with the cast. “It’s my first major role and I’ve never worked with so many adults before, it feels like my first professional role.”

Other productions Stewart has been a part of include Our Town, The Hobbit, Christmas Carol (three times), Shrek (where he worked with fellow cast member Amber Slater-Scott), and is in City Circle’s upcoming musical, Jesus Christ Superstar.

Stewart says he’s been looking forward to being on stage again and knowing that people are being entertained. “I like to hear what people think about the production.” Stewart said.

“We have worked with kids in the past with productions like The Wizard of Oz and Peter Pan, however they’ve never been as involved as they are in this show.” Peters said. “However, we probably won’t do it again for a while.”

“I would love to do it again if I could, but I also don’t think I’ll be able to because of West.” Stewart said on the prospect of returning to City High for other productions.

Last City production or not, both young and older actors have reacted well to the casting choices. “I like it, it adds a new dynamic, new people, and gives the younger actors an opportunity that would be hard to come by otherwise.” Rahn said.

“I love the younger actors, they’re so energetic and they bring life and energy to the show.” Ostrem said.

While the actors continue to work together after school, audiences will have to wait until the performances to see the work that these two groups have accomplished on April 24-26.