Battle For The Boot 2014

Crosstown rivals face-off for the 2014 season.

Dominic Balestrieri-Fox, Sports Editor

CITY HIGH (0-3)

Iowa City West High School (1-2)

@ West High School

When: 7:15 PM

Where: Trojan Stadium

The Rundown: The Little Hawks prepare to face off against their crosstown rivals, the Trojans, in the Battle for the Boot tonight.

Friday will be yet another matchup in the rivalry between City and West. The game will take place just a season after City High won the coveted “Boot” trophy back from West for the ‘13 season, following a 44-0 loss to the Trojans in the ‘12.

“For them to, you know, go from a 44-0 to a win was borderline miraculous,” head coach Dan Sabers said of the ‘13 team, “that highlight tape? I don’t know, [watched it] a hundred times.”

The Little Hawks pulled away from that loss to win (14-7), but it may be a different story for tonight’s game.

Both teams have seen losing records in their first three non-district games, with West pulling off the only victory so far (12-9) against CR Kennedy.

“Obviously, none of us can claim we’re a top notch team, that’s for sure, but I also think we may be a little better than our records indicate,” he said.

Looking past records then, and past previous games, we’re left with stats, and it’s apparent that both teams have favored a spread-out, passing offense. The teams have had their struggles on offense, with the Trojan defense slightly nudging out City’s in terms of tackling.

West’s passing game is led by #6 Aaron Bleil. Bleil has made 87 attempts at pass, managing a 51.7% completion rate, consistent with City High’s #15 Nate Wieland ‘17, who made 108 attempts in his past three games, maintaining a 53.7% completion rate.

Bleil’s most hit target is #8 Oliver Martin, who accounts for 18 receptions and 176 yards. Quick hitches from the Trojans can be expected.

Wieland most often looks to #19 Juma Burnett ‘16, who has made a similar 14 receptions for 175 yards, and is City’s second highest scorer.

In the backfield for the Trojans are #24 Yeshuwa Hicks and #2 Kevin Dowell, who have made 19 and 18 rushing attempts for 83 and 43 yards respectively. The two set the threat for power-run sets amidst the Trojan passing game.

City’s #1 Bryson Runge leads the Little Hawks on rushing and scoring with 28 attempts for 232 yards and 14 points scored.

On defense, the teams grow less similar.

#27 John Milani of West High, strong safety, slightly overshadows City’s #4 Erick Fletcher, MLB, at a comparison of 31.5 to 20.5 total tackles.

With both teams so evenly matched, predictions so far are left to speculation, but coach Sabers is confident.

“We wouldn’t go there if I didn’t think we were going to keep the boot.”