Little Hawks on to Davenport Central

The Little Hawks begin their first regular season game with a home game against Davenport Central on Tuesday, December 9th at 7:30 P.M. in City High’s main gym.

Drew Orr

Nate Wieland ’17 only a sophomore but starting Varsity

Brady Vanlo, Sports Reporter

After winning a close Hall of Pride scrimmage against Williamsburg on December 1st, the Little Hawks are gearing up for their first regular season game.

The Little Hawks came victorious against the Raiders 56-55. Henry Mulligan ‘16 led the Little Hawks in scoring, putting up a total of 16 points sinking 57 percent of his shots. Meanwhile Emmanual Hooper ‘15 played aggressively on defense, putting up a total of 5 steals along with 7 points. Both Nate Wieland ‘17 and Evan Grace 15’ put up double digit points for the Little Hawks for a combined score of 20 points. Chuck Johnson ‘17 led the Little Hawks with a total of 7 defensive rebounds. Though the Raiders kept the game close, with 6 seconds left on clock, it was a group effort by the Little Hawks stopping the last offensive drive by Williamsburg with a last second block by Evan Grace.

Davenport Central is coming off of a 13-9 2013-2014 season with the loss of only 4 seniors. City High came off with a 63-60 loss against the Blue Devils last year in overtime. Showing the same intensity as last years team, the Little Hawks are looking towards a 1-0 start to the regular season.

“The scrimmage against Williamsburg showed a lot of what we needed to prepare for for our first game on the 9th.” said Showalter. “Our preparation against Davenport Central is mostly focused on rebounding and defense as I thought those were our two areas need work before the game.”

Showalter applauds his team’s chemistry in the game.

“I really liked our team chemistry in the scrimmage and the way we played together.” said Showalter. “We took a tough loss in overtime last year against Davenport Central and hopefully our chemistry will help reverse that for this year!”