Swimmers Show Up Strong At State

Sam Bloom, Sports Reporter

For some Valentines Day is filled with love and romance, and for others such as the five boys swimmers going to state it is a day filled with lots of chlorine, cheers and of course: swimming.

“We deserved to be there, so we were going to do well”, says Abe Eyman-Casey

Eyman-Casey finished up his career placing 5th in the 100 back with a time of 52.55 (school record). Eyman-Casey also swam in the 50 free, placing 19th with a time of 22.57. He has signed a letter of intent to St. Olaf College.

The other four swimmers representing City for the 200 Medley Relay which placed 23rd (1:43.14) at the Marshall Town YMCA were Eric Thomas ‘19, Cole Donahue ‘16, Jacob Cabbage ‘16 and Andrew Parr ’16. The two individual qualifiers were Eyman-Casey and Parr.

“Going into state I wasn’t really as nervous as I was excited just knowing that it was my last high school meet”, says Eyman-Casey, “There were so many people, and it is such an amazing environment that it was hard to be nervous”.

Parr also had a strong showing at state swimming alongside Abe in the 100 back with a time of 55.31.

“I think everyone tried their hardest and did their best which is what mattered”, said Parr, “ I think we all performed very well”.

Alternate State swimmer Jacob Cabbage also thought the season went well

“The team made a step in the right direction”, says Cabbage, “It had been shrinking in size these past three years, but numbers were up this year, and we were more successful”.