Neve Heimer-Lang Named National Merit Scholar

Olivia Parrott, News Editor

One of only five from Iowa City, and the only one from City High, Neve Heimer-Lang ’15 is a National Merit Scholar.

“I was proud of myself, and I was glad that my mom made me study,” she said.

The lengthy National Merit Scholarship process begins with a student’s sophomore-year PSAT/NMSQT score. In early September, of the 1.5 million entrants, 50,000 students are named commended students, or semifinalists. Of the 50,000 students, 34,000 are commended students, and 16,000 become semifinalists. (Semifinalists are the highest scorers in each state.) Semifinalists must then meet SAT score and academic criteria.

In February, the 16,000 semifinalists are whittled down to 15,000 finalists. Finally, winners are chosen based on abilities, skills, and accomplishments, along with their essays. Then, and only then, was Heimer-Lang recognized as a National Merit Scholar, and the winner of $1000 per year of college.

“It’s going to be a good thing to put on my resume, for at least a little while, and will hopefully get some internships in college,” Heimer-Lang said.

And although she is nationally recognized as having academic promise, Heimer-Lang keeps her accomplishments in perspective.

“Although it’s an honor to be among the national merit scholars, there are a lot of really smart kids out there,” she said.

However, Heimer-Lang does not regret the effort she put into studying for the tests.

“Actually, I was really mad at my mom, because she made me study for it,” she said. “But I thanked her for it later.”