Five Freshmen You Should Know

Lizzie Tran

Levi Pugh ’18

Levi Pugh: Levi Pugh ‘18 was involved in various activities. He managed to do all of these activities with a 4.0 GPA in school,

“This year I did football, show choir combo, drumline, did some stuff for the orchestra for percussion, I’m doing baseball, and I also played at prom with the band, Vinyl Denial and when you’re trying to get gigs and you can’t say no,” said Pugh, “I’ve done a lot of stuff and it’s made for really busy weeks and weekends and I’ve lost some sleep, but it’s definitely been worth it cause I met a lot of new people and you know I’ve made a lot of new friends and kept myself busy”,

He also plays various types of instruments and takes private lessons outside of school.

Pugh tries to keep himself busy by doing as many activities as he can and learns how to play different instruments.

Like most students, Pugh is also loading up on all honor and AP classes for his next years at City High.

“For next year, none of my classes are regular, they’re all honors or AP,” said Pugh, “I don’t know how I’m going to handle it , I decided to take all advanced classes and if I need to drop anything I could just drop it. You wouldn’t need to worry about losing any credit hours or anything like that. We’ll see how next year goes but I’m going to be really really busy”.

He is also replacing Jarrett Purdy ‘15, in the jazz band and he was also the only freshman to play for the music in Mary Poppins.,

“Jarret Purdy has been an inspiration for me. I’ve looked up to him because he’s a senior and he knows the ropes, he’s written music and he’s played in front of a lot of people so he’s one source of inspiration in music,” said Pugh, “as for sports however, I just want to keep playing competitively and become a better athlete,”

Addy Smith:  Addy Smith ‘18 has been in involved in Best Buddies, volleyball, track, basketball, show choir and band.

AddyIMG_7883.jpgWith all of her activities, she shares how the activities have affected her personal life,

“Because of sports and activities, I haven’t had as much time to hangout with friends outside of those activities,” said Smith, “but I’ve made a lot of new friends inside of those activities and spent more time with different people that I wouldn’t have gotten to know otherwise, and that’s been really fun”.

Like Smith, a lot of athletes want to increase their abilities in sports, by training with different exercises and being involved in any clubs outside of school. She is involved in a volleyball club, “The Rockets” outside of school.

“I definitely try to work in the off season but then again I work at other sports that help with each sport, like volleyball. I care a lot about each sport like volleyball and I watch volleyball videos.”  said Smith, “a lot of seniors are huge inspirations to many underclassmen, whether it’s sports or music. I definitely look up to older kids and those who have graduated, especially multi sport athletes. I just use them as role models”,

Jordan Lafauce:  Jordan Lafauce has been involved in show choir,  and was also involved in the theatre production of Mary Poppins. He also shares what his schedule was like.

“Show choir practice was every Monday from 5:30-7:30 and then Mary Poppins was, well when it was 1 week before the show, we were at school until like 10 pm,” practicing and stuff so that was crazy,” said Lafauce, “It was really hard to get my homework done so I had a study hall and that’s really when I did all of my homework or in the morning,”

Even though his activities took up most of his time, they also helped him make a lot of new friends and it also helped boost his confidence,

“Probably my courage, like I’m not nervous anymore, just randomly saying hi to people, like I’m not as shy because I’ve met so many new people that it’s helped my socialness.”

Lafauce also plans to be in the musical production of Grease next year and he is also doing show choir.

Molly Brennan: Molly Brennan ‘18 is involved in the Silver Cord program, soccer, Interact club, and a club that City High is well known for, Best Buddies.MollyIMG_7887.jpg

Brennan also work on the weekends at the nursery in North Dodge. Brennan’s plans for the next 3 years are to achieve her goals,

“Well, I guess I’ll be older, and there’s going to be a lot more responsibilities, they mentioned maybe signing up for the leadership team for Best Buddies so maybe I’ll try to do that and I’m also trying to work towards Silver Cord”, Brennan said.

She shares what her schedule was like when she was in all of these activities,

“I guess that my grades and school are important to me,” Brennan said, “ and I had soccer everyday after school, then Thursday mornings at 7:30, I’d go to Interact and then work Saturday mornings and then we’d have Best Buddies events sometimes, it’s only like once a month so those were fun. Then you hang out with your buddy twice a month and then every once in a while on Sundays, we’d have a meeting for the Feeding My Starving Children and the concession stand is picking up, so I work at the concession stand over the summer a lot.”

The organization, Feed My Starving Children, is a non-profit organization that packs food and sends the packages overseas. Brennan shares her motivation for all of these activities,

“ I think it’s more goal wise, Silver Cord is more of a goal to me,” Brennan said,  “then Best Buddies is just fun and getting involved in Interact is a way to get silver cord hours and then soccer is also is just like getting involved”.

Keaton Scandrett: Keaton Scandrett ‘18 has been involved in many activities like select women’s choir, show choir, winter drumline, speech, and the production of Mary Poppins. Scandrett also managed to keep all of her school work a priority than her extracurriculars,

“Actually this year, I got all of my work ahead and I do it all of it on the weekend before tech week so I didn’t have any homework during Tech Week which was awesome,” Scandrett said, “a lot of people’s grades go down during Tech Week though because you like go home and go to sleep and then you wake up and go to school in the morning”.

A lot of students succeed in different things if they’re more involved in the activities that City High provides. Scandrett shares her success in her first year in City High.

“I think I’ve been most successful at improving because at the beginning of this year, I wasn’t really in anything and then once you start trying new things, you really build character throughout the different activities that you do, so I would say just growing as a person,”