Dangerous Substance Unmasked

Serena Collins, Reporter

5tg 6gt vDihydrogen monoxide. A scary name but a very real threat.

This element is colorless and odorless and not talked about enough.

Certain components of dihydrogen monoxide are found in explosive and poisonous compounds including nitroglycerine. Although DMHO is not classified as a toxic substance by the CDC or US government, it is a part of many toxic substances, diseases, and environmental hazards.

DHMO is found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions, leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals, and contributes to soil erosion.

Public awareness is thought to be lacking. While issues involving DHMO are addressed currently by the FDA, FEMA, and CDC, the general public is mainly still in the dark regarding the prominent dangers of DMHO. As a result of a lack of awareness, dihydrogen monoxide continues to be used across the US in government buildings, industry, and even private homes and schools. This problem is not resolving itself, and while world population numbers increase, so do the dangers of DHMO.

In a recently performed study, it has been found that in every episode of violence in America’s schools, DHMO was involved. It is available to students of all ages and grades within the “safe” walls of our school buildings. City High is no exception. No school administrators could say exactly how much of the substance is used in their own hallways.

“I am concerned about the prevalence of dihydrogen monoxide being consumed by students,” said Jason Schumann, AP world history teacher. “Despite my attempts to keep it out, somehow it always seems to find its way into the halls of City High.”

City High students and teachers are teaming up to stop the use of dihydrogen monoxide in the making and shipping of the school lunches students are ingesting daily. My younger brother, age 12, has been quarantined indefinitely for bringing this substance into our home. I am scared for the coming weeks, and the increasing dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.

This matter will be taken to the school board at the next public meeting by Schumann and two student representatives, including myself.

Visit www.DHMO.org for more information.