City High Takes Steps to Prevent Incident

Lily O'Brien, Reporter

After threats of a fight arose over the internet last night between City High students, Tate students, and students from other schools, City High is taking steps to prevent the fight from occurring.

“[The students from the other schools] sent a [message] that after school today they were going to fight [City High students],” John Bacon, principal, said. “We are taking this situation very seriously and we want to make sure that it doesn’t happen.”

The Iowa City Police Department has sent two officers to patrol the parking lots all day and the school’s doors have been locked and stationed with hall monitors.

“It was not a threat to the entire student body; a couple kids were going to come up here and try to have a fight with a couple of [City High] kids after school,” Bacon said.

The additional safety measures include all doors being locked and monitored, two additional police officers, email notification to the parents and teachers, and strong supervision outside of City High.

“Law enforcement has been able reach out to the non-City High students and reach their families and the students themselves and visit with them and explain that under no circumstances are they coming up [to City High] and what would happen if they do, so I feel real good about that too,” stated Bacon.