Boys Swimming Takes Narrow Loss at First Home Meet


Celeste Chadwick

Hagen Opitz ’16 swims the butterfly

Celeste Chadwick, Reporter

On December 15, City High hosted its first home swim meet at the Mercer Park Aquatic Center. Although Linn Mar won, it was a close meet with a final score of 90-80.

“Going into the meet I hope to PR and do my best in every event and incorporate what we’ve been learning in practice,” team captain, Cole Donahue ‘16, said. “As a team we hope to compete and have a closer final score to Linn Mar. We want to cheer for each other and have better sportsmanship by staying in the water until everyone is done at practice. At the meet we try to tell everyone good job after they finish their events, and we hope to represent our school well at our first home meet.”

This is a much bigger team than they’ve had in years past which they hope will lead to closer team scores and more wins. The swimmers have been focusing more on technique, dieting, and lifting in the off season to better their performance during the season.

Despite losing the meet, the team hopes to focus on areas that need work and come back strong at the next meet.

“About 70% of our improvement comes from the coaches helping us on our technique and certain strategies and the other 30% comes from teamwork because we’re all really encouraging to one another and we’re always competing against each other in practice,” Donahue said.