Super 2016

Super+2016

Michael Menietti, Reporter

Marvel’s new age started in 2008 with the release of Iron Man, and they just released Deadpool this year. With the release of Batman vs. Superman- DC is finally catching up.

The next movies to be released are Captain America: Civil War on May 6th, X-Men Apocalypse on May 27th, Suicide Squad on August 5th, and Doctor Strange on November 4th.

Captain America: Civil War is mainly about the super human registration act. When enforced, the law would regulate hero vs. villain activity. It requires those with super human abilities or powers to register themselves. Mounting political pressure from the damage the Avengers have caused is what is bringing this to the forefront. Steve Rogers (Captain America) believes that super humans should maintain their freedom to fight crime without the governments interference. However, Tony Stark (Iron Man) strongly disagrees with him and supports the act. The avengers, minus Thor and The Hulk, -plus some new heroes- are forced to choose sides on this issue. Along with this, their is the issue about what to do with The Winter Soldier. Who was formerly known as James ‘Bucky’ Buchanan Barnes.

X-Men Apocalypse takes place about twenty years after X-Men: Days of Future Past, although the timeline has not yet been specified. The movie centers around the immortal Apocalypse who has been worshiped since the dawn of time as a god and was the first and most powerful mutant. He awakens after thousands of years and begins to recruit mutants to be the ‘four horseman of the apocalypse’. He recruits Storm, Psylocke, Magneto, and Angel- but not the one from X-Men: First Class. As the world hangs in the balance and humanity and mutant-kind alike are threatened, Professor X and Mystique lead a team of young and new X-Men to try and combat the new villain.

As for Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange, little to none of the plot-line has been released. Suicide Squad is about super-villains in Arkham who accept a secret mission from the government that will likely take their lives. Meanwhile, Doctor Strange is about a man, Dr. Stephen Strange, who discovers the world of magic after meeting ‘The Ancient One’.

Everyone from young kids to adult long-term fans are looking forward to the next installments. There have been many years of these movies, and all the story-lines are finally starting to come together within their respective universes. There is years of planned out movies to come, the ‘era of hero movies’ is no where near its end.