City High Students Receive Youth Salute Awards and Scholarships

Students+from+City+High+stand+on+the+Englert+Theatre+stage+as+they+receive+their+certificates+for+the+Youth+Salute+award%2C+sponsored+by+Hills+Bank.+

Students from City High stand on the Englert Theatre stage as they receive their certificates for the Youth Salute award, sponsored by Hills Bank.

Molly Liu and Lucy McGehee

300 students’ pictures were exhibited under the flashing lights of the Englert Theatre for the annual Hills Bank Youth Salute ceremony on Sunday, September 11. Out of the pool of Iowa high school seniors, Lucy Wagner ‘17 was one of two students selected for the highest honor: Outstanding Youth Leader.

“It was really exciting,” Wagner said. “It was absolutely incredible to have that support, [especially from Mr. Bacon].”

Along with the recognition, Wagner also received a $500 scholarship and an invitation to Washington University to attend the National Council on Youth Leadership. Nine finalists, who were selected through two rounds of interviews, were candidates for the award, including Nova Meurice, Adam Zabner, and Esme Rummelhart.

“I knew the people that also made the second interview, and those people are amazing,” Wagner said. “In terms of everything that they’ve done, they’re just all wonderful people.”

Other awards were given to six other City High students that night. Nova Meurice and Adam Zabner were recognized as Outstanding Youth Leader Runner Ups, receiving $250 scholarships; Sasha Chapnick Sorokin, Molly Liu, Esme Rummelhart, and Daniel Zirtzman were given local leadership awards, receiving $100 scholarships.

Although Wagner acknowledges her incredible experience in receiving the prestigious award, she plans to continue her work in community service.

“I’ve always really liked helping people,” Wagner said. “It’s nice to know that the work I’m doing isn’t going unnoticed and is actually making a difference. That was probably the biggest thing that I realized.”