Students Create Buttons to Benefit Syrians

Emmeline Kraus, Reporter

Students across the Iowa City school district are showing support to Syrians by having buttons which read “The City that Loves”. Lucy Wagner ‘17, cofounder of Iowa City community involvement club and co president of the political awareness club, along with Mae McDonough ‘17, co president of political awareness club, have been planning a fundraiser for Syria.

“We wanted to focus on refugees because that seems to be a really pressing issue right now, local or global,” said Wagner.

After a month and a half of research and planning, they selected The White Helmets, a growing Syrian organization who rescue victims from rubble after bombings.

“[The political awareness club] decided that it would be a really good idea to raise awareness for it by creating these button pins” said Wagner.

The political awareness club has been promoting the buttons. The buttons will be sold at both City and West High. The buttons have been made, but volunteers can sign up to sell buttons during the lunch periods. Volunteers can get involved by going to the PAC meeting on Tuesdays at 8:15 or by contacting either of the co presidents or Ms. Watson, the teacher sponsor.

“Mainly the goal we have is to raise awareness, because the buttons are not going to make a substantial contribution to their goal” said Wagner.

Although the PAC club will only make  a small profit, they hope to spread awareness of the situation in Syria to the community.

“We want to spread as much love and awareness as we can so that people that do have the resources to help, such as the White Helmets, are getting a positive message” said Wagner.

The most important reason for the PAC members is to show support for organizations helping Syrians.

“I think that people should really take a moment to step outside their situation and think about how it could’ve turned out for you if you were born in any other place” said Gidal 19’, member of the PAC. Gidal explains another important reason for the fundraiser.

“[The fundraiser] is important because it helps people in need and this is a time where there are lots of things going on that and often people feel that there is nothing they can do to help” said McDonough. Members of the PAC club are hoping this fundraiser will allow community members to feel they are positively contributing the the Syrian crisis.

“I would definitely encourage students to continue raising awareness to organizations that need help to continue advocating for positive messages in the world” said Wagner. Wagner encourages students to continue researching organization which need support and awareness after her graduation.