Little Hawk Women Kick Off Season Strong

Olivia Baird, Reporter

The City High women’s soccer team played its very first game of the season. The team travelled to Pleasant Valley High School to face their previously ranked-6th team. The City High girls, previously ranked 14th, were challenged by the girls of Pleasant Valley.

The previous scrimmages this spring against North Scott and Jefferson High School were a good way for the girls to get playing time, but this game was when it really started to count. 

City High went into the game with a 3-4-3 lineup. In the first half, the game was a pretty evenly possessed game between City and Pleasant Valley. Both teams made great opportunities in front of the goal. Naomi Meurice ’19 made some spectacular saves in goal, keeping the score 0-0 at halftime.

Going into the second half, the City High girls seemed a lot more comfortable on the ball. There was better movement of the ball throughout the players. Pleasant Valley became more and more frustrated as the game went on. City was given a free kick and City did not waste this opportunity. Sydney Schroder, a senior and team leader, rushed the goal and placed the ball in the back of the net. City was up 1-0.

Yet again, Pleasant Valley fouled City High and this time inside the 18 yard box. Grace Brown stepped up to take the penalty kick. The 5’4″ senior, who is committed to Nebraska, collected herself and placed the ball in the left corner of the net to put City was up 2-0.  Lots of rushing the goal was done by both teams and City High’s Julia Lusala ’17 scored another goal, but the ref called offsides and the final score remained 2-0.