Teacher Appreciation Week: Dr. Ayers

Dr. Ayers is our English 10 Honors teacher. We have developed a close, friendly student- teacher relationship. We are able to have an interesting conversation with him that does not always relate to the classwork.

Dr. Ayers is happy and available to help all of his students. He goes out of his way to make sure that every student in his class understands and feels confident in their work. Dr. Ayers always is flexible with his students’ schedules. He wants each student to succeed and improve their capabilities.

There is a lot of freedom with the topics of our projects. For our big end of year project, Dr. Ayers allowed students to investigate genres of our choice. We like the ability to choose topics that interest us, rather than doing assigned projects. This makes us more involved and eager to work on our research and essays outside of school.

Throughout class, Dr. Ayers always has witty comebacks and funny remarks that make class more enjoyable and fun for students. During our vocabulary studies, we spent the entire time thinking of different ways to work allusions, or subtle references to history, literature, mythology, art, or the bible, into our speaking. Throughout the class period, Dr. Ayers continues to sneak in allusions about Star Wars and Star Trek. On May 4, Ayers made references to Star Wars in honor of ‘May the Fourth.’

He teaches us important life lessons, such as the need to abandon your kids to go see an ‘inappropriate’ teen movie. On a serious note, he also prepares us for future college writing and literature classes.

He still has yet to tell us about the reason he became a teacher, maybe because we always ask right before a quiz. The last day of school, he promises to tell us the great–and hopefully moving–story.

Overall, Dr. Ayers has become a daily positive influence on our lives. His class is a time where we can relax and always have a good time while still learning important information. Dr. Ayers’ humorous and light attitude is a wonderful addition to City High.