Pugh ’19 Scores Overtime Winning Goal

Olivia Baird, Reporter

The hot sun beat down on the City High women’s soccer players’ faces as they warmed up for their game against Dubuque Hempstead. Friday, May 12th, was the first game of the season with a temperature above 70 degrees.

At kickoff, both teams fought for the ball. Dubuque Hempstead, whose record was 7-6, showed a lot of energy against City High, whose record was 8-4. The possession was at first fairly equal as the teams tried to find their rhythm. City found rhythm and played around Hempstead while creating goal opportunities. By halftime, the players walked off the field, exhausted, while the score was still tied at zero.

At the start of the second half, City battled for possession. The players began to tire and the pace of the game slowed. Freshman Kennedy Menzel ’19 began to pick up the pace and made many runs up the field in effort of scoring a goal. 80 minutes passed and neither team had scored. They continued into overtime. City controlled the ball and ran the Hempstead players up and down the field. Sydney Schroder took a corner kick around the 5th minute of overtime, and Madeline Pugh ’19 crashed the ball in from the left side of the field. The City High players rushed to Pugh and celebrated with hugs. City High won 1-0.

The women’s team keep moving up in the rankings as their winning streak continues. The City High team plays Des Moines Roosevelt in their first regional game on May 31st at the University of Iowa field at 5:00 PM.