City vs. Davenport Central Preview

City Gears up to Face Davenport Central This Week

Dylan Ryfe, Reporter

The City High men’s varsity football team will start off the second half of their season against Davenport Central this Friday, September 29th.

The Blue Devils are 3-2 so far this season, obtaining wins against Davenport West, Davenport North, and Burlington High School. The team is averaging 33.4 points per game, rushing for 267 yards per game, and passing for 118.6 yards per game. 

“[Davenport Central] has a very good tailback, their offensive line is just big,” Coach Dan Sabers said. “The main thing we have to work on is to just scratch where it itches and take the opportunities they give us because we do try and spread things out.”

The Little Hawks have been averaging 21.2 points per game, rushing for 128.6 yards per game, and passing for 224 yards per game. The Little Hawks starting QB Bryce Hunger ’18 has thrown for 1100 yards and 6 touchdowns, and Wide Receiver Zach Jones ‘18 has amassed 650 receiving yards across 5 games. RB Davonte Foster has added 5 touchdowns and 350 yards.

If the Little Hawks win this game, their playoff opportunity comes into clear focus.

“We have to take care of tonight, we have to play well,” Sabers said. “If we win this game, you know, we are one step closer to postseason thoughts. Tonight is definitely a big game for both teams.

Davenport Central is being led by QB Adin Delarosa, who has thrown for almost 600 yards this season.

The game will take place tonight at the City High field at 7:30.