‘The Miracle Season’ – Movie Review

Orson Codd, Reporter

‘The Miracle Season’ (2018) is a film based on a true story, which happened in Iowa City, about Caroline “Line” Found who tragically passed away in 2011. Line was a West High School Volleyball captain and she and the team were undefeated. The film focuses on how her death affected the whole team and what they had to go through knowing they wanted to honor her by winning the state championship. The film stars Helen Hunt as the volleyball coach and William Hurt as Founds father.

What did I enjoy about the film?

I enjoyed how they portrayed the team’s reaction. It felt genuine when the tragic scene came early in the film. While I was young when the real event happened, I was not able to understand it when it was on the news. But now that I’m a young adult, I felt as though I was able to see how the event affected the whole community.

It was funny to see how Iowa City was portrayed in the movie, especially since it was filmed in Vancouver, Canada. If I remember correctly, there was a pie shop in the movie’s version of Iowa City. In town, I’ve never seen a shop singularly devoted to just selling that desert.

It was also neat to see how other schools in the state were portrayed. City High was the main school and main rivals. This plays into something else I enjoyed which was seeing the perspective of another school. Being a Little Hawk, it’s obvious we should be against the West High Trojans in the third act. But, oddly, when watching the movie, I liked seeing the competition from West Highs POV.

Overall, ‘The Miracle Season’ has a great story to tell about remembrance and friendship. When the film releases to the public, I highly recommend you get a group of friends together and go see it, if you’d like. You won’t be disappointed.