Best Buddies Holds Talent Show

Phoebe Chapnick-Sorokin, News Editor

City High’s award-winning Best Buddies chapter is always looking for ways to show inclusion throughout the school. The club’s most recent event was the Best Buddies Talent Show: a way to showcase the talents of club members, along with a fundraising opportunity for the chapter.

“The talent show is basically an opportunity to put special-ed students in front of peers and build them up,” Molly Brennan ‘18, the 2017-2018 chapter president, said.
This event is highly anticipated in all parts of the City High community each year. It brings in students, families, and teachers, and accrues many dedicated attendees.

“I’ve gone every year, even before I was super involved [with Best Buddies],” Brennan said.

The event showcases the talents of students with a wide range of abilities. This year, some of the most anticipated acts were Bob Tharrington singing and dancing, Eli Hansen singing, and Mr. Lehman singing.

“When they go onstage, they’re so happy. When Bob’s singing, he’s dancing all over the place, and loves the applause and attention,” Brennan said.

Best Buddies is always working to send out the message to focus on people’s abilities, rather than their disabilities.

“[The talent show] broadcasts their abilities and shows that they’re not limited. It really gets the message out there,” Brennan said.

In addition to providing a safe space for students to perform, the talent show is also the club’s biggest fundraiser of the year. Best Buddies charges admission, sells snacks and T-shirts, and holds a silent auction. This year, the chapter raised approximately 1,800 dollars.

“It’s just a really great way to show the students that they’re supported within the school and the community,” Brennan said.