2018-2019 Club Grants Not Available

Student+Senate

Victor Kalil

Student Senate

Henry Mildenstein, Reporter

City High offers many clubs–they offer a diverse mix of opportunities that gets hundreds of students involved. While students enjoy a lot of the experiences clubs provide, the clubs can also be costly to run.

“Debate can be a costly activity, more funding would help subsidize more of the costs of attending a tournament, technology, and so on,” Drew Gardner said. One of the debate coaches at City High. According to Gardner, some schools are not quite as fortunate as the ones in ICCSD.

“The debate team receives funding from ICCSD and it is sufficient to run our team, some schools are much worse off,” Gardener said.  

Recently, students at City High formed a frisbee team. The team had issues with acquiring the things needed to run a frisbee team.

“More funding would enable us to welcome players to the team who struggle financially as we are fronting money out of our own pockets to pay for tournament/league fees, jerseys and USAU memberships.” said Brady Vanlo ‘18. “We ended up getting some sponsors and did some fundraising opportunities to help us get the funding we need,” said Vanlo.

According to Nolan Vibhakar ‘21 it can be very pricey to to maintain robotics club.

“A lot of our expenses were used on upgrading our equipment and materials” said Vibhaker. “More funding could mean more and better equipment for the club. “We didn’t really have an issue with funding this past year.”

According to him, this could help with the team’s performance in competitions. “This means we would be able to keep up to date on the most efficient tech and supplies. This levels the playing field with the other teams that have those things.”  said Vibhakar.

While most clubs have found a way to pay for their needs, there are somethings that the clubs would like to be able to do eventually do.

“Our biggest dream is that debate could be funded enough to make tournament attendance free for all debaters. However, in reality, the district has been very generous to City High Debate, and we feel very lucky to have a supportive district and administration.” said Gardner.

Vibhakar noted  that clubs are often filled with people trying the something for the first time. “I think it’s important because clubs encourage students to go out and try new things. Funding helps make sure that those clubs can provide better experiences for students.”