Ellie Evans ’19 Leads Volleyball to Sweep Muscatine 3-0

In three sets the City High girls team advanced to the second round of the playoffs. They will play C.R. Prairie or Jefferson next Monday night.

Eva Bailey

Eli Evans ’19 erupts after a kill during the City vs. Muscatine first round playoff game.

Last night, City High’s volleyball team defeated Muscatine 3-0, with a close last set of 25-22. Ellie Evans ‘19 played strong, leading the team to victory. She was impressed with the team’s persistence as they were losing in the first set.

“I was really impressed with our consistency and our composure,” Evans said. “We were down kind of big in the first set and were still able to come back and we remained calm and collected.”

Evans is very proud of the team’s improvement throughout the year.

“If you look at us from the beginning of the season to where we are now, it’s just a totally different team,” Evans said. “We’ve struggled with [our composure] all season and staying consistent and being able to finish games.”

City High students cheered from the student section throughout the game, dressed up in creative Halloween costumes.

“I’m surprised that our student section actually did the Halloween costumes and a lot of people went…so that was really cool,” Eva Bailey ‘19 said.

In addition to enjoying the theme of the game, Bailey was also engrossed in watching the close game.

“The game itself was really close and fun to watch,” Bailey said.

Evans was also very impressed by the student section.

“I liked their costumes and I’m glad they showed up,” Evans said.

She hopes that they can bring in a similar student section when they face Cedar Rapids Jefferson on Monday.

“I think [the student section] adds a better environment and helps us build our energy,” Evans said.