Little Hawks Battle Warriors For MVC Title

City High Looks To Clinch Their Seventh Consecutive MVC Title.

Jack Bacon, Reporter

The moment City High girls basketball had been building towards was here. Already the number one seed overall in the state, the Little Hawks were set to take on Cedar Falls in a game to clinch at least a share of the MVC Title… but Iowa weather had other plans.

The game between the Tigers (18-1) and the Little Hawks (16-2) had to be canceled as yet another winter storm rolled over Iowa City this week. With the regular season coming to a close, the game will not be made up. Administrators tried to replace City’s Wednesday night matchup against cross-division foe Cedar Rapids Washington with the makeup game, but the plan couldn’t be finalized in time.

So City (16-2) now faces CR Wash (15-4) tonight in a game that can clinch an outright title in the MVC Mississippi Division.

This is a big shift in the Little Hawks’ schedule, and one that can potentially beneficial. Coming into the week, they had to defeat the other team in contention for the Mississippi Division to clinch a shared title, then beat another heavy weight team in the Warriors to win the championship outright. Now, though, their mission is simple. Win one game against a Warriors team that fell to Cedar Falls by 18 points in their last game and clinch their seventh straight conference title. Lose, and their streak of MVC domination comes to an end.

Beyond reasserting their control of Eastern Iowa’s strongest athletic conference, the game presents an interesting test for the Little Hawks. With the state’s overall one seed all locked up, the Little Hawks are now focused on carrying as much momentum into the postseason as possible.

City exploded out to a 14-0 start this season before falling to West High in their second meeting of the year. After dropping another game to Dowling, the Little Hawks righted the ship with a win over Dubuque Senior and a 62-36 drubbing of talented Cedar Rapids Prairie (Prairie is the only team to defeat Cedar Falls this season).

Admission to the game is free for students. It starts at 6:00 p.m. with a Senior Night game for the boys team to follow. The students section theme for both games is “White Out.”