Student Senate Recap: First Meeting in Weeks Brings Big Plans

Olivia Lusala

Invested in the workings of City High’s very own bureaucracy? You’ve come to the right place.

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Web & Copy Editor

“I know we haven’t seen each other in a while,” President Lottie Gidal ’19 admitted at the beginning of the student senate meeting on Wednesday, February 27, 2019. “Powderpuff will be next Thursday. It will start at 6:30. We have everything we need.”

The senate moved on to discussing preparations for prom.

“[We have] $1300 still, and we need to choose snacks,” Judith Dickson, faculty adviser, said. “Cupcakes, [the caterer] recommended popcorn…water with lemon. There are some lights: we have white, blue, white, blue, white, blue, along the side. No one has really expressed any interest in helping with decorations. Balloons…you get a lot of bang for your buck, so we could have silver and blue on alternating tables.”

Gidal introduced the topic of the senior picnic, which will take place in early May.

“Since Mr. Bacon had indicated in an email that he wanted the same thing as last year, I went to talk to him. There are a few things I think he agrees with me on now,” Chip Hardesty, faculty adviser, said. “Instead of having the senior picnic after the senior day of service, we could have it the evening before…and have Hy-Vee do it, which comes to about six bucks a person.”

The senate meets every Wednesday (when there’s school, that is) at 8:10 in Room 3311. To learn more, attend meetings, which are open to all students, or contact Steve Tygrett, the primary faculty adviser.