In Search of a Coach: Ultimate Season Starts Up Again

Courtesy of Anthony Murphy

The disc team competing at state in spring of 2018.

Nina Lavezzo-Stecopoulos, Features Editor

As spring sports start up again, the second year of City High’s ultimate disc club is coming quick. Last year Collin Spratt and Brady Vanlo started the first ever City high ultimate frisbee team. Certified by the American Ultimate Disc League, the team competed at state with more than enough members to compete. At the moment frisbee fanatic Anthony Murphy ‘20 is in search of a coach for this years season.

“Obviously I’m excited,” Murphy said. “But it’s not going well.”

Brady Vanlo, a graduate of City High and current student at the University of Iowa, was expected to be year’s coach but has shown a lack of interest. The other original founder of the club, Collin Spratt, was a student teacher last year in the art room. He is currently teaching in another state and therefore ineligible to coach the team. The lack of a perspective coach has created hardships for Murphy. As the weather warms, Murphy would like the club to start practicing around spring break.

“I got a lot of people asking me ‘when’s disc going to start’ which makes me think people are excited to play,” Murphy said. “And there’s no snow anymore and now it’s just mud which is fine. You can play in mud.”

Despite past troubles with the weather and a continuing search for a coach, there is an abundance of interested students at City eager to join the join.

“Most of them are juniors and freshmen, which is good,” Murphy said. “It’s good to have a lot of freshmen because I only have one year after this. I hope the freshmen can keep it going because they have so many more years.”