Girls Swim and Dive Team get 6th at Varsity Championship Meet

Julianne Berry-Stoelzle, Sports Editor

With a 6th place overall finish at the Mississippi Valley Championship this past Saturday the swimming and diving team is positioned to make a run at the state meet in three weeks. This coming weekend will be the MVC sophomore meet, with regionals the following weekend. 

“[The atmosphere was] really good. LinnMar has such a nice pool and the teams there were good teams there,” Grace Campion ‘22 said. 

The City High girl’s 200 medley relay of Averi Loria ‘22, Campion, Olivia Masterson ‘20, and Rika Yahashiri ‘21 took 5th place with a time of 1:56.19. The 200 freestyle relay of Masterson, Yahashiri, Shelby Caldwell ‘21, and Loria placed 6th on the podium with their time of 1:42.15.

“I thought [going on the podium for the first time] was really cool. I felt really accomplished because the rest of the season hasn’t been the greatest for me,” Campion said.

Masterson also placed 4th in the 100 fly with a time of 1:00.09 and won the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:07.42. Yahashiri was also on the podium for 4th place in the 100 breast with a time of 1.11:42. This meet is the second meet after the end of the dual meet season.

“I have mixed feelings about the [dual meet] season being over but I mostly don’t want people that I really like to go. I kinda wish it would just keep going,” Campion said.