Students Struggle Parking Between the Lines

By Andy Cress

As the snow melts away and gives way to spring, the lines in the school’s parking lots become visible once again. With the change of seasons students begin to find their cars wrapped up in yellow caution tape, orange traffic cones blocking their favorite illegal parking spots, and white tickets under their windshield wipers.

“I don’t normally go out to the lot unless someone requests it,” Chip Hardesty said.

Hardesty began working at City High as a hall monitor. He now coaches the tennis team and makes rounds in the parking lot.

“When we added the new area I actually encouraged them to paint even more new lines,” Hardesty said. “Now there are a few more spots over by the dumpster.”

Students are presented with over 300 parking spots in four parking lots on the school grounds. Only 70-some of those spots are in the coveted jock lot. Some arrive early in the morning in order to get a prime spot.

“I have to get to school about 7:40 everyday in order to park in the jock lot,” Colin Berry ’11 said.

Students have trouble parking between the lines.
With the changing of the seasons, many students are having trouble parking between the lines. Little Hawk Executive Editor Davis Vonk '10 is no exception.

The addition of 40 new parking spots this past summer combined with this year’s removal of the rule which used to prohibit freshman and sophomore students from parking on campus, it has become increasingly difficult to find a good parking spot.

“I now opt to park in the lower lot,” said Nathan Zehr ’10.

But parking in the lower lot is getting harder to do as more students are driving to school. Others have become disheartened by the maneuvering of young drivers and just try to play it safe by parking elsewhere.

“Whenever I come up on Morningside [Drive], someone always cuts me off,” said Beth Eyanson ’10. “I just love my car too much to park somewhere it’s likely to get hit.”