Author Justin A. Reynolds Visits City High To Share His New Book “Opposite Of Always”

Sophia Lusala

Reynolds signs Kyra Vanvang’s ’23 new copy of “Opposite Of Always”

Sophia Lusala, Reporter

After eight and 1/2 years of being rejected Author Justin A. Reynolds had the opportunity to Publish his new book Opposite Of Always. He shared with City High students his struggles and inspirations for the book.

“I didn’t wanna work with someone that was only 51 percent yes and 49 percent no, I wanted to work with someone that was excited,” Reynolds said

Reynolds a former pest control operator, night security guard, steel mill janitor, NASA intern, salesman, carpet flooring installer and most recently a registered nurse said he wasn’t ashamed of his jobs or that he was unpublished.

“Believe it or not I won NASA intern of the year while I was cleaning toilets,” Reynolds said

Reynolds had many experiences through his many jobs, even NASA intern of the year at one point. He believes he never lost pride while working as a janitor.

“I’m no better than the person that hands me the food, there is very little separating me and that person,” Reynolds said

Reynolds based characters in the book off of people he felt connected to in his life. Basing a character off of a patient who had passed away, one who he felt he connected with.

“Hopefully one day when her daughter is grown she’ll have the opportunity to read my book and see how the world saw her mother, how I saw her mother,” Reynolds said

Reynolds told students how one of his biggest inspirations for Opposite Of Always was the passing of his aunt who he admired.

“The book was born from great personal loss. I had a lot of feelings, sadness, grief, but primarily anger,” Reynolds said

Reynolds shared what motivated him and why he decided to take on the job of an author without knowing what the future was going to bring him.

“I am not motivated by money, but by happiness and satisfaction,” Reynolds said

Students were intrigued and excited as Reynolds shared the ways he believes you can impact the world in the most significant ways.

“You impact the world in the ways it needs it desperately when you are at your best, and where you wanna be,” Reynolds said

Reynolds told City High students that he believes that everyone should do what they are passionate about and to not stray from their goals even though plan b may be safer.

“If you are doing something you are passionate about and makes the world a little better then success will find you,” Reynolds said