Backstage Crew Begins Work on Matilda

Sophia Wagner, Reporter

Rehearsals of Matilda have started this week. Now, tech crew, which does the backstage work for the theater department, is finding its footing in this year’s musical. 

The tech interest meeting was held yesterday, February 5. The ensemble room was packed with students hopeful to participate in the backstage life of the show. After a brief introduction from tech director Doug Lestina, crew heads began presenting their department to the eager student body. 

Isabelle Miller ‘21 is this year’s head of costume crew. 

“In costume crew, our job is to find costumes and make the fit people. Sometimes we have to make costumes, and we also are responsible for the organization of accessories,” Miller said in the meeting. 

Miller is not the only student leader in the theatre department. Shows will always have a student stage manager, and this year a new edition includes a “house manager”. The house manager will be in charge of the lobby during the shows, including ticket sales. 

Tech crew holds a wide range of jobs, from construction to make-up and hair. Students are looking forward to their time backstage at Matilda

Ella Hackathorn ‘22 attended the meeting and was enthusiastic towards working on tech. 

“Watching everything come together in the show and being with friends is really fun,” said Hackathorn.