Head Football Coach Dan Sabers is Retiring After 40 Years

Head+Coach+Dan+Sabers+talks+with+Gabe+Oriss+22+and+Trevor+Hills+21.+

Natalie Green

Head Coach Dan Sabers talks with Gabe Oriss ’22 and Trevor Hills ’21.

Rachel Marsh, Photo Editor

After 40 years of coaching the City High Football team, Dan Sabers is retiring from coaching. According to the players, he has a big role in the lives of the players he’s coached.

“It is with a very grateful heart that I announce that I’m stepping down as the head football coach at Iowa City High School. The last 40 years with City High football has been very special to me and my family, with so many very special memories of great plays, hard work, great wins and especially the outstanding relationships amongst players, coaches, parents, and administration,” Sabers said in a statement.

Sabers coached the team to a 4A State Championship back in 2009 and has 141 wins under his belt. During his first 20 years with City, he was an assistant coach while Larry Brown was the head. Larry Brown coached three state title teams and 24 playoff victories. 

“There are too many people to thank all of them that have helped me throughout this amazing journey, but certainly my wife and my family have always been there, and my mentor from my first day on at City High, Larry Brown,” Sabers said. 

Sabers announced on Friday that he is retiring from head coach, but will continue to teach his class at City High. He teaches Health, which is typically a freshman class but it is one that is required to graduate. Sabers’s classroom is in the athletic wing of the building, with players able to walk in to grab a snack like a banana or granola bars when they’re hungry.

“To the 2021 Little Hawks team, I’m looking forward to watching all of you achieve great things next year. I was very fortunate in 2001 to have a great group of young men to work with during my first season and I’m happy for the new head coach to have a great group of young men as well. I have been blessed with an amazing 40 years!” Sabers said.