Boys Basketball Season Update

Tommy Simmons, Reporter

Boys basketball recently fell short of beating Wahlert Catholic by 2 points with a score of 58-60. Wahlert was able to get up and down the court at a fast pace while getting shots in the paint. Although Wahlert beat them the City High boys kept fighting towards the end of the fourth quarter.  

“Our plan for the Wahlert game was as soon as the shot goes up, we get the rebound and move the other direction really quickly versus just walking the ball down the court.” Shamari Scott, one of the assistant coaches said.

As the season progresses the team hopes that everyone stays healthy amidst Covid-19 so they can continue to work on plays and compete with other teams. 

“This season has been full of ups and downs but when we are fully healthy and have everyone on the team we can compete with anybody,” Scott said. 

A player to look out for is Jamari Newson ‘22 who currently has the most points and assists on the team. Newson has ninety-six points with an 80% free throw percentage and seventeen assists as of the team’s last game against Wahlert Catholic. 

The team has been getting as much practice in for both preparation for the Wahlert game and future games. In practice, the team does situational plays at the end of practice to mimic what may happen in a real game. 

“I’ve gotten more serious in practice and am playing a better role as a teammate.” Jovan Harris ‘22 said. “We’ve added more drills and have been working on things we’ve been having trouble with in games. We’re ready to turn things around so we can do better against tougher teams.”

The next big game for the team is on January 21st against West High School at West. This will be the second doubleheader against West this basketball season for both boys and girls.