Interact Club Gives Back This Spring

Interact Club, City High’s volunteering and service club, is preparing for many community service opportunities this spring.

Greta Stanier

Interact Club member Ava Cross ’23, hangs up a poster for the Soup-er Bowl.

Greta Stanier, Features Editor

Early Wednesday mornings, City High’s Interact Club gathers around to discuss the upcoming week’s plans. As the spring months roll in, Interact Club is lined up with several opportunities to give back to the community. 

“We are planning to do a fundraising talent show at the beginning of April that will raise awareness for the Rotary Club and Iowa Most, two organizations that support cleft palate surgeries,” Interact Club President Jennie Gidal said. “In the spring, we are planning a lot of more outdoor activities that students can get involved in, like a City High cleanup and tree planting.”

Currently, Interact Club is in the midst of several drives to collect donations for local charities. 

“Right now, we’re doing a winter clothing drive that will be going to the shelter house,” Gidal said. “We are also doing a peanut butter and jelly drive that will be going to the crisis center.” 

Along with these drives and volunteer opportunities, Interact Club has also been hosting guest speakers from community organizations like Open Heartland and The Rotary Club. 

“[Our guest speakers] have been a great way for students to learn about organizations in the community from the professionals and leaders who run them,” Gidal said.

Gidal is looking forward to participating in these volunteer opportunities with the club, as well as other students who want to join. 

[Our upcoming events] are all really great opportunities for students to get involved who are in Interact and also students in the City High student body,” Gidal said. “It gives them a chance to get silver cord hours for graduation, as well as give back to the community.”