City High Boys Soccer Wins Over Xavier

At the beginning of their season, the boys soccer team won their game against Xavier on Tuesday April 12.

Alima+Mmunga+23++and+Andrew+Lopez+23+high+five+after+scoring.+

Lauren Koch

Alima Mmunga ’23 and Andrew Lopez ’23 high five after scoring.

Rachel Marsh, Photo Editor

A day full of school, walk to the locker room. Focus, up the adrenaline. Step onto the field, clock starts. On Tuesday April 12, the boys Varsity and JV teams had games against Xavier High School.

“Xavier was pretty decent last year, but they’ve lost some of their seniors so I think we can pull out ahead,” said Jerry Mwenemkamba ‘23.

The team is on their third game of the regular season and in the beginning of their season, the end goal being qualifying for the state tournament at the end of May. 

“[We’re working on] trust, trusting our teammates on the field. It’s a long process, you don’t just learn it after one game,” said Mwenemkamba.

The varsity game was 0-0 the whole game. Both Xavier and City had shots and runs to the goal. The game went into overtime. In the first 30 seconds City got a free kick, Emmitt Hansen ‘23 kicked, the Xavier goalie blocked but it went in. City scored and ended the game 1-0, coming out with the win over Xavier.

“When Emmitt scored I mostly felt relieved. We had broken their team down in all stages of the game, we were just missing that one final piece which was putting the ball in the back of the net. We had chances all game especially in the second half but they just weren’t falling quite right. When Emmitt scored we could finally breathe. We looked good but finishing with high winds is always a challenge, we just needed to put that game away earlier,” said Vincent Johnson ‘22.