City High Boys Soccer Loses to West

Anna Gayley

Alfredo Ortiz ’22 attempts to dribble the ball around a West High defender

Max Berry-Stoelzle, Sports Editor

The annual varsity soccer rivalry game between City High and West High took place on April 15 at City High school. At the start of the game, City’s varsity boys soccer team took an early 1-0 lead. However, as the game developed, West High fought their way back, leading 1-2 at halftime and extending their lead throughout the second half, ending the game with a final score of 2-4. After a loss in the previous year, City High went into the game with a losing record of 5-6 in the annual rivalry game, but after their most recent defeat, this gap was extended to 5-7.

“I think the first 10 minutes we came out really strong. Once we scored that goal [however], we got too comfortable and they took advantage of that,” Emmit Hansen ’23, an outside midfielder for the varsity team, said.

This is the team’s second loss of the season. They currently have a record of 3-2 with a conference record of 1-1.

“We knew it was going to be a tough game, but we were ready for it,” Hansen said. “We just wanted to show them what we’ve got. We wanted to stay calm, and play our game.”

The boys varsity team’s next game will take place on Tuesday, April 19 against Dubuque Hempstead at City High at 4:15 P.M.

“I think we’ll learn a lot from [this game]. There are a lot of key takeaways in losing a game,” Hansen said. “I think going forward, we’re definitely gonna get more hungry to win.”